The Spell of the Horse
What if horses really could see into your soul?
What if loss could open your heart to something beautiful?
What if you could rewrite your story?
When my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, I noticed how my horse Winston’s behaviour changed in response to my emotional turmoil. Thus began a transformational journey in which I came to fully understand the depth of the spiritual relationship between horses and humans and the horse’s infinite capacity to help us heal. The Spell of the Horse is a memoir revealing this path to redemption, woven with the real stories of courageous people who have sought support and healing in the heart of the herd.
What the reviews say:
***** ‘She writes with a wonderful beauty.’
***** ‘Will change the way you see horses’
***** ‘Will repay the few hours it will take you to read many times over’
**** ‘Insightful, uplifting and emotionally engaging’
The Spirit of the Horse
What if nature could show you the way to your true self?
What if you could find the courage to live your biggest dream?
In The Spirit of the Horse, the sequel to my first book The Spell of the Horse, the herd lead me on the next stage of my spiritual and geographical journey, transforming my life beyond recognition. They give me the courage to reach for a dream, nurtured for more than a decade, and alone I move to France to live alongside the herd for the first time. Here in the heart of nature, deep insights are revealed into the healing connection between horse and human, the power of nature to bring us peace and joy and show us our life’s purpose.
What the reviews say:
***** ‘This book will take you on an extraordinary journey of self-discovery.’
***** ‘Left an indelible print on my heart’
***** ‘An extraordinary journey of self discovery’
***** ‘Masterful, uplifting and insightful’
Both my books have been described as essential reading for psychotherapists, counsellors and coaches working with mindfulness and somatic awareness, students of equine assisted learning, equine assisted therapy, natural horsemanship or horse behaviour.
- Writers’ week 5th – 10th May 2022Writing is a passion for me as well as being an important element of my spiritual and personal development practise. Finding a spontaneous, creative flow of consciousness via the pen on the page (or the fingers on the keyboard) can transform, inspire, settle and bring peace. When I do this beside my herd, soaking in […]
- HORSEA poem with piano by Emily Maguire After reading The Spell of the Horse, Emily was inspired to seek out and meet a horse for herself. This is what she composed afterwards. Emily kindly gives permission for me to use her music in many of my video clips and posts. Her songs and poems are […]
- Loss, separation and beginningsRecently I was invited to do a talk for a psychotherapists’ group entitled ‘How horses help us to heal from loss, separation and endings’. In introducing the session I recalled how it was in the midst of grief (when losing my mother in 2004), that I caught the first glimpse of my horse, Winston, as […]
- Keep your song strongIn my second summer living in France a pair of opportunistic swallows moved into my woodshed one day when the door was left open. Within a matter of a month or so one nest became three and I was delightfully entertained by, I estimate, three clutches fledging, feeding and singing their hearts out in my […]
- This one is for you, MumPUBLICATION DAY BLOG, THE SPIRIT OF THE HORSE That my second book The Spirit of the Horse should be published just after Mothers’ Day was not planned. Yet when I realised this was the case it seemed so right. My mum died 17 years ago. Sometimes it still seems like 17 months, or even weeks. […]